Click here for publicity photos
(For a more detailed list, scroll down)
Frederica Mathewes-Green is a wide-ranging author, whose work has appeared in such diverse publications as the Washington Post, Christianity Today, Smithsonian, the Los Angeles Times, First Things, Books & Culture, Sojourners, Touchstone, and the Wall Street Journal. She has been a regular commentator for National Public Radio (NPR), on Morning Edition and All Things Considered, a commentator on the Hallmark TV network, a columnist for the Religion News Service, Beliefnet.com, and Christianity Today, wrote regular book reviews for the Los Angeles Times, movie reviews for National Review Online and Christianity Today Movies, recorded a podcast for Ancient Faith Radio, and was a consultant for Veggie Tales.
She has published 9 books, including The Jesus Prayer: The Ancient Desert Prayer that Tunes the Heart to God (Paraclete, 2009), Facing East: A Pilgrim’s Journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy (HarperCollins, 1997) and The Illumined Heart: The Ancient Christian Path of Transformation (Paraclete, 2001). Her essays were selected for Best Christian Writing in 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006, and Best Spiritual Writing in 1998 and 2007. She has published over 700 essays.
She has also appeared as a speaker over 500 times, at places like Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Wellesley, Cornell, Calvin, Baylor, and Westmont; at the Smithsonian Institute, the Aspen Institute, Washington National Cathedral, the Los Angeles Times Book Festival, the American Academy of Religion, the Veritas Forum, the Family Research Council, and the National Right to Life Committee.
She has been interviewed almost 700 times, on venues including PrimeTime Live, the Diane Rehm Show, the 700 Club, NPR, PBS, CNN, NBC, Fox News, and by Time, Newsweek, the New Republic, USA Today, the Chicago Tribune, the Philadelphia Inquirer, and the New York Times.
She lives with her husband, the Rev. Gregory Mathewes-Green, in Baltimore, MD, where he is pastor and she is “Khouria” (“Mother”) of the parish they founded, Holy Cross Orthodox Church. Their three children grew up and got married, and they now have thirteen grandchildren. Since 1997, Frederica has been recording books for the blind with the Radio Reading Network of Maryland.
Note to hosts of speaking events: I am happy to sign books. Please order books directly from the publisher (contact info below) and keep all profits.
Want an autographed copy? Order from Holy Cross Church’s bookstore.
From HarperSanFrancisco; Orders, 1-800-242-7737
- Facing East: A Pilgrim’s Journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy (hb 1997, pb 2006)
From Paraclete Press; Orders, 1-800-451-5006
- The Jesus Prayer: The Ancient Desert Prayer that Tunes the Heart to God (2009)
- The Lost Gospel of Mary: The Mother of Jesus in Three Ancient Texts (2007)
- First Fruits of Prayer: A Forty-Day Journey through the Canon of St. Andrew (2006)
- The Open Door: Entering the Sanctuary of Icons and Prayer (2003)
- The Illumined Heart: The Ancient Christian Path of Transformation (2001)
- A Companion Guide to ‘The Illumined Heart’ (with Robert Gibson, 2006)
From Conciliar Press; Orders, 1-800-967-7377
- At the Corner of East and Now: A Modern Life in Ancient Christian Orthodoxy (1999)
- Gender: Men, Women, Sex, Feminism (2002)
Best American Spiritual Writing, 2007, Houghton Mifflin
Best Christian Writing 2006, Jossey-Bass
- Best Regular Column: Culture, the Arts, and Leisure, Catholic Press Association, 2004
- Best Christian Writing 2004, Jossey-Bass
- Best Christian Writing 2002, HarperSanFrancisco
- Books for a Better Life finalist, 2000
- Best Christian Writing 2000, HarperSanFrancisco
- Best Spiritual Writing 1998, HarperSanFrancisco
- Christian Women Role Models (1998), Ecumenical Coalition on Women and Society
- Smithsonian, National Review, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, MSNBC website, Utne Reader, Policy Review, The World & I, Parenting, Books & Culture, The Congressional Record, The Christian Century, Christianity Today, First Things, Crisis, National Catholic Reporter, National Catholic Register, Catholic Digest, Sojourners, re:generation quarterly, others
Advisory and Editorial Boards
- Books & Culture, Christianity Today, Kairos Journal, Touchstone, Orthodox Peace Fellowship, The Susan B. Anthony List, Council on Faith and International Affairs, Institute on Religion and Democracy, Torrey Honors Institute of Biola University, Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity, Hill Country Institute for Contemporary Christianity, Common Ground Network for Life & Choice, Ecumenical Coalition for Women and Society, Center for Faith and Culture, Americans United for Life, others
TV and Radio Appearances
- PrimeTime Live (ABC), Religion & Ethics Newsweekly (PBS), CNN, C-SPAN, MSNBC, NBC News, ABC News, Fox News, The 700 Club, the Hallmark Channel, others
- National Public Radio, Monitor, Pacifica, Voice of America, Family News in Focus, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Diane Rehm, Come Receive the Light, Ancient Faith Radio, Marlin Maddoux, D. James Kennedy, Armstrong Williams, Janet Parshall, Dick Staub, Jody Bottum, others
- New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Time, US News & World Report, Newsweek, Chicago Tribune, Brill’s Content, The New Republic, USA Today, Self, National Journal, National Review, Congressional Quarterly, Christian Science Monitor, Boston Herald, Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, Philadelphia Inquirer, others
Yale, Yale Divinity, Harvard, Princeton, Wellesley, Johns Hopkins, Cornell, Georgetown, Brown, Oxford, William & Mary, Middlebury, Reed, George Washington, Univ Penn, Fordham, Virginia Tech, Columbia, Grinnell, Calvin, Baylor, Westmont, Asbury Seminary, Grove City, Biola, Coalition of Christian Colleges and Universities, Veritas Forum events, others
Washington National Cathedral, Los Angeles Times Book Festival, Smithsonian Institution, Aspen Institute, Chautauqua Institution, American Academy of Religion, Focus on the Family, Pro-Life Assoc of Gays and Lesbians, Milton Center Writers’ Workshop, Ivy League Coalition for Life, Family Research Council, Cornerstone Festival, Orlando Museum of Art, Rock for Life, Thomas Merton Foundation, National Right to Life Committee, CareNet, Christian Legal Society, Heartbeat, Evangelical Press Association, Inst for Religion and Democracy, Call To Renewal, Acton Institute, others
- National Public Radio, commentator (“All Things Considered”, “Morning Edition”)
- Christianity Today, movie reviews
- National Review, movie reviews and consumer reports
- Ancient Faith Radio, weekly podcast
- Our Sunday Visitor, movie reviews
- Today’s Christian, “Everyday Theology” column
- Los Angeles Times, book reviews
- Christianity Today, columnist
- Big Idea, Inc. (“Veggie Tales”), consultant
- Odyssey [now Hallmark] Television Network, commentator (“News Odyssey”)
- Religion News Service, columnist
- The Christian Millennial History Project, contributing author
- World magazine, national correspondent, columnist
- Feminists for Life of America, vice-president for communications, editor Sisterlife journal
I grew up in Charleston, S.C. and received a BA in English from the University of South Carolina (1974) and a MA in Theological Studies from Virginia Episcopal Seminary (1977). I was a certified natural childbirth educator from 1979-1988; I prepared about 400 couples for childbirth, and was present at many births and homebirths. In 1989 I began doing public speaking and writing for publication.
My husband is Father Gregory Mathewes-Green, who is the founding pastor of Holy Cross Orthodox Church near Baltimore. Our three children grew up and got married, and we now have eleven grandchildren. I record books as a volunteer with the Radio Reading Network for the Blind.